HOW SAM GREW! Sam Jordan liked basketball. Every afternoon he went to the basketball court. Sometimes Sam played with his friend, Janet. Sometimes he played alone. Sam wanted to play for the school basketball team but the basketball coach said, "You should not play basketball. You're too small. Basketball players must be tall." Sam was very sad. 'I want to be the best basketball player in the world,' he told Janet. 'But basketball players must be tall. I'm too short.''Don't worry, you'll

Bu konu 18180 kez görüntülendi 0 yorum aldı ...
İngilizce hikayeler 18180 Reviews

Konuyu değerlendir: İngilizce hikayeler

5 üzerinden | Toplam: 0 kişi oyladı ve 18180 kez incelendi.

-
    - - ait Kullanıcı Resmi (Avatar)

Standart İngilizce hikayeler

HOW SAM GREW!
    Sam Jordan liked basketball. Every afternoon he went to the basketball court. Sometimes Sam played with his friend, Janet. Sometimes he played alone.
    Sam wanted to play for the school basketball team but the basketball coach said, "You should not play basketball. You're too small. Basketball players must be tall."
    Sam was very sad. 'I want to be the best basketball player in the world,' he told Janet. 'But basketball players must be tall. I'm too short.''Don't worry, you'll grow!' said Janet. 'But I want to be tall now,'said Sam. The next afternoon a teacher came to the basketball court when Sam and Janet were playing basketball.
    "Good afternoon, Mr. Becker" said Sam and Janet.
    "Good afternoon. Do you want some basketball magazines?" asked Mr.Becker.
    'Yes, but whose magazines are they?' asked Sam. They were Mr. Smile's magazines" said Mr. Becker. 'Mr. Smile was a science teacher at this school but he died ten years ago.' Mr. Becker took Sam and Janet to a room. It was full of dust. He showed Sam and Janet Mr. Smile's cupboard. There were some old boxes inside.There were science books and magazines in one of the boxes. 'You can have everything. Nobody wants them" said Mr. Becker.
    Sam and Janet looked at the basketball magazines and the science books.They were very old.Sam saw some bottles under the magazines and books. He looked at one of the bottles. The label said: GROWING MEDICINE - DO NOT DRINK.
    'I want to grow tall ... I'll drink this medicine!' thought Sam. He picked up the bottle and said, 'I'm going to drink this medicine,' Janet pointed to the label and said, 'You mustn't drink it, Sam.' But Sam did not listen to Janet. He put the bottle back into the box and took the box home. That night Sam drank some of the growing medicine. The next morning he was taller!"Good morning, Mum" said Sam.
    Mrs. Jordan dropped her cup. 'Sam, what has happened?' she asked.Sam smiled and said, 'Nothing.'"You've grown. Now you're as tall as me" said Mrs. Jordan.
    Sam went to school. The other children were very surprised. They said, 'Yesterday Sam was small. Today he's the tallest boy in his class.'
    After school Sam went to play basketball. Janet came to the basketball court. 'Did you drink the medicine?' Janet asked.
    "Yes, I did" said Sam. 'Look, I've grown! And now I'm going to be a basketball star!'That night Sam drank some more of the growing medicine. The next morning he could not move his legs. He called his mother.
    Mrs. Jordan came into Sam's bedroom. She looked at Sam and screamed.
    'Sam, what has happened? Why are you so tall? You're longer than your bed!'
    Now Sam was taller than his mother. He was as tall as his father!
    That afternoon the basketball coach said to Sam, Today we're going to play against Sunshine Primary School. We need a tall player. Now you're the tallest boy in the school. You can play for the school team.''Hooray!' said Sam.
    So Sam played basketball with the other players in the team after school.
    Soon it was the basketball match. The two teams were on the basketball court. Sam was the tallest player!
    Sam played very well. He scored many points. His team won the match and everybody cheered!
    After the match Sam said to Janet, 'Now I'm the tallest boy in the school and I'm the best basketball player.'
    That evening Sam threw the bottle of growing medicine away. "I don't need it any more" he thought.
    The next morning Sam saw himself in the mirror. 'Oh, no!' he screamed. I didn't drink the medicine last night, but this morning I'm taller! I don't want to grow any more.
    Sam went to school. Now Sam was taller than all the teachers.
    That afternoon there was another basketball match. Sam went to the basketball court. But the coach said, 'You can't play for the school team, Sam. You're too tall.'
    Sam sat down. He looked around. All the boys and girls were laughing at him. Sam wanted to cry.
    Janet came and sat beside Sam. "Don't be sad" she said.
    "I can't play basketball" said Sam. 'I'm too tall. Everyone is laughing at me!'
    'Did you drink the growing medicine yesterday?' asked Janet.
    "No, I didnSam grew taller every day. He could not go to school. One day a doctor came to see him but the doctor said to Mrs. Jordan, 'I'm sorry! I can't help him.'
    Sam's flat was on the third floor of a tall building. A few days later Sam was too tall to go through the door of the building. He had to stand outside the building. His mother handed him his food out of the kitchen window. At night Sam slept in the garden.
    Many people came to see Sam. Newspaper reporters, radio reporters and television reporters all came. They pointed microphones and cameras at Sam. 'What is it like up there, Sam?' they asked.
    Sam?' they asked.
    One day Janet came to see Sam's mother. Mrs. Jordan was very worried. 'Janet, why is Sam growing so fast?' she asked.
    Janet told Mrs. Jordan about Mr. Smile, the box and the growing medicine
    't. I threw it away" said Sam. 'What can I do? I want to stop growing.'"Sam wanted to be tall" said Janet. 'He wanted to be a basketball star so he drank some of the growing medicine.'
    "We must help him. Let's find Mr. Smile's box" said Mrs. Jordan.
    They went to Sam's bedroom and found the box under Sam' bed. There were some magazines inside the box. Mrs. Jordan found some bottles under the magazines. The label on one of the bottles said: DRINK THIS MEDICINE TO GET SMALLER.
    Mrs. Jordan picked up the bottle and said, 'Sam must drink this medicine.'
    'But how can we give it to him?' Janet asked. 'He is now taller than the building.'
    Outside the building there were fire engines, firemen and firewomen. Janet and Mrs. Jordan went outside to talk to one of the firemen. Mrs.Jordan asked him, 'Can I please borrow your megaphone?' The fireman gave her the megaphone.
    Mrs. Jordan and Janet ran upstairs to the roof of the building. The fireman followed them. Mrs. Jordan used the megaphone to talk to Sam.'Can you put your hand down, Sam?' asked Mrs. Jordan. 'We want to give you this bottle of medicine.'
    Sam put his hand down but he could not reach the bottle of medicine. He was too tall! "I'll throw this bottle of medicine up to you, but you must catch it. We have only one bottle" said the fireman.
    "Drink the medicine and you'll become smaller" said Janet.
    The fireman threw the bottle of medicine into the air. Sam caught it in his right hand. Mrs. Jordan, Janet, the fireman and all the people in the street cheered.Quickly, Sam opened the bottle and drank the medicine.

Two minutes later, Sam began to get smaller. Soon his head was below the roof of the building. After two hours, he was small again.
    'Why did you drink the growing medicine, Sam?' Mrs. Jordan asked.
    "I wanted to be a basketball star" said Sam. 'Basketball stars must be tall.'
    'Perhaps you should play football!' said Janet. 'You can be a
    goalkeeper.'
    'A goalkeeper?' said Sam.
    "Yes" said Janet. 'You caught the bottle of medicine. You're very good at catching things. You can catch footballs, too.'
    So Sam became the goalkeeper of the school football team. And he never wanted to be tall again.
    A DAY AT THE MALL
    by Judy Nayer
    It was Saturday. Saturday was shopping day in my family. My mother saw an ad about a sale at the mall. The bigiiest department store was having an anniversary sale, and everything was half price. My mother decided I needed new clothes. I was in big trouble. I liked my clothes. They fit me, and they looked great. But my mother loves shopping, and she loves sales. There was no stopping her.
    For a minute I thought I was lucky. Dad had the car. How could we get there? But Mom said, "We can take the bus!"
    The bus stopped at Sixth Avenue, just one block from the mall. At the mall, my mother asked for directions to the big department store. A man said the store was across from the pet store. We went past my favorite stores -Guitar World, Music Corner, and Sneaker Stop. I wanted a new CD. But my mother said not to look in the window. We had to go straight to the department store. We had to turn right and go past the luggage store. It was next to the jewelry store. Mom moved so fast! She ran down the aisle and ound the racks of the clothes. She was excited. Her fingers moved through shirt after shirt. "Here!" she said. "Try these on!"
    Everything Mom picked was awful. There were flowered shirts and checked shirts. There were pairs of plaid pants and pairs of striped pants. One pair of jeans had no pockets. I wasn't surprised they were half price. Who would wear them? My mother was getting tired. "These clothes look comfortable," I said. "And they're my size. I'll try them on." I came out wearing my plain, solid-colored T-shirt and baggy pants. "May I get them?" I asked.
    "Yes. I like those clothes," my mother said with a smile. "How much do they cost?"
    "Imagine that!" I said. "My old clothes are free!"
    "Wow! That's better than half price," said Mom.
    "Don't tell the salesperson," I said to my mother. "But my old clothes are better than any of the new clothes here!"
    "You're right," Mom said as we walked out the door. "Sometimes something old can be better than something new."
    THE BIG FISH WHO WASN'T SO BIG
    Once there was a pond next to a river. In the pond lived many small fish. They were not very happy, however, because a BIG fish also lived in the pond.
    The BIG fish was not bad. It simply thought it was better and more important because it was BIGGER. When small fish swam too close, it announced, "Stop making those tiny waves. I can't sleep. A BIG fish like me needs more sleep than you little puny fish."
    One day a small fish grew tired of hearing how unimportant it was. "Why don't you go swim with all the aother BIG fish in the river?" it suggested. "You will be among fish as important as you are." That was the best idea the BIG fish had ever heard.
    Soon the rains of spring began. The river flowed over its banks and into the pond. It was easy for the BIG fish to swim into the river.
    At once, the BIG fish noticed something. Everything was BIGGER than it was
    The rocks on the floor of the river were ENORMOUS. The water in the river flowed swiftly and with much strength. And the ofther fish? They were HUGE, HUGER, and HUGEST!
    Something bit its tail. The BIG fish turned to see the ugly face of a a HUGE tiger fish, its mouth open, ready to eat the BIG fish with one gulp!
    The BIG fish swam quickly behind a large rock and hid. It didn't feel BIG now. It felt small and very afraid. All it wanted was to swim back to the pond where it was quiet and peaceful. And that's what it did. After that day, the big fish played with the little fish and took them forrides on its back.
    No matter how big we are, we need to learn how to live with everyone.
    THE NIGHT OF THE STARS
    Long, long ago, in a town
    that was neither near nor far,
    there lived a man
    who did not like the night.
    During the day, in the sunlight, he worked weaving baskets, watching over his animals and watering his vegetables.
    Often he would sing.
    But as soon as the sun set behind the mountain, this man who did not like the night would become sad, for his world suddenly turned gray, dark and black.
    "Night again! Horrible night!" he would cry out. He would then pick up his baskets, light his lamp and shut himself up in his house. Sometimes he would look out the window, but there was nothing to see in the dark sky. So he would put out his lamp and go to bed.
    One day, at sunset, the man went to the mountain. Night was beginning to cover the blue sky. The man climbed to the highest peak and shouted:
    "Please, nigh. Stop!"
    And the night did stop for a moment.
    "What is it?" she asked in a soft, deep voice.
    "Night, I don't like you. When you come, the light goes away and the colors disappear. Only the darkness remains."
    ""You're right," answered the night. "It is so."
    "Tell me, where do you take the light?" asked the man.
    "It hides behind me, and I cannot do anything about it," replied the night. "I'm very sorry."
    The night finished stretching and covered the world with darkness.
    The man came down from the mountain and went to bed. But he could not sleep. Nor during the next day could he work. All he could think about was his conversation with the night. And in the afternoon, when the light began to disappear again, he said to himself: "I know what to do."
    Once more he went to the mountain. The night was like an immense awning, covering all things. When at last he reached the highest point on the mountain, the man stood on his tiptoes, and with his finger poked a hole in the black sky.
    A pinprick of light flickered through the hole. The man who did not like the night was delighted. He poked holes all over the sky. Here, there, everywhere, and all over the sky little points of light appeared.
    Amazed now at what he could do, the man made a fist and qunched it through the darkness. A large hole opened up, and a huge, round light, almost like a grapefruit, shone through. All the escaping light cast a brilliant glow at the base of the mountain and lit up everything below... the fields, the street, the houses. Everything. That night no no one in the town slept. And ever since then the night is full of lights, and people everywhere can stay up late... looking at the moon and the stars.
    Animal Talk
    By Dorothy Hinshaw Patent
    People talk to each other every day. When you cell a friend to meet you at the playground after school, your friend understands and joins you [here. Animals, too, need ways to tell each other things, or communicate (Kuh-MEW-nih-kate).
    There are different ways of communicating. People don't just use their voices. They also show how they feel with a smile, a frown, a friendly pat on the back, or a kiss. Like people, animals need to "talk" to one another. But animals don't have words. So how do they communicate? Special Ways of Communicating
    Dogs bark or growl. Horses neigh. Male crickets rub their wings together to make the chirping sounds that attract females. Some fish grate their teeth together to make sounds.
    Many animals use their tails to show how they feel. Some crabs and spiders wave their legs in special patterns to attract a mate.
    Dogs, horses, and cats use their ears not only to hear but also to show how they are feeling. They flatten them back if they are angry or let them stand straight up if they are alert, eager, or happy.
    Singing Birds
    Have you ever heard the lovely song of a sparrow in the morning? When birds sing, they are not just making beautiful music. They are communicating.
    While female birds can chirp, it is usually the males that truly "sing." Sometimes they sing to attract a mate- "This is my place. Here I am, ready to start a family."
    Once a songbird and his mate get together, the male sings for a different reason. Now he is letting other birds of his kind know where his home is. His song says, "This is my place. Stay away."
    Each kind of songbird has its own special song. When you hear certain notes, you know that you are listening to white-crowned sparrow. A meadowlark has a very different tune. Each bird can recognize when another bird of its own kind is singing.
    When birds sing, they are not using real language the way humans do. While humans can speak hundreds of different languages, each kind of bird has only one "language" with a few "words."
    We can tell each other all kinds of things with words. But birds have only a few messages they can get across. A person can say the same thing in different ways. "Please come to my birthday party on Saturday" means the same as "Saturday is my birthday. Can you come to my party?" But a bird has only one way of saying "This is my place."
    Flashing Fireflies
    Many animals depend more on sight than sound to get messages across. The sparkling flashes of fireflies across a nighttime meadow are beautiful to us. But they provide important information to the fireflies.
    During the mating season, female fireflies often perch on the tops of plants, while the males fly above them, flashing bright signals.
    There are many kinds of fireflies, and each kind has its own special flashing code. When a female sees the proper code, she waits just the right amount of time. Then she flashes back.
    When a male sees a flash from the grass at the right time, he turns and heads to the spot. Here is a female of his kind, ready to mate with him. As he approaches, he flashes again and she answers. When he gets close, he lands on the grass and walks toward her, flashing as he comes. Then they mate. Trailing Ants
    Have you ever watched a trail of ants marching across the kitchen floor toward a bit of food, or heading out from a woodland nest? The ants are traveling in both directions, hurrying along their way. Some of them are going out from the nest. Others are returning with something to cat.
    How do the ants know where to go to find the food?
    Many ants live in big nests underground, or above the ground in wood. There are thousands of them in each of these big family homes. Some of the ants wander away from the nest looking for food. They are called scouts.
    When a scout finds a juicy piece of fruit, a dead grasshopper, or some other food, it heads for home. As it returns, the scout leaves a trail with a special chemical released from the rear end of its body.
    Back at the nest, other ants smell the fresh trail left by the scout. They follow it back to the food.
    After collecting as much as they can carry, they scurry back to the nest, leaving more of the chemical trail as they go.
    Every ant that returns with food leaves a trail, just like the scout. More and more ants head out and return with good things to eat.
    Once all the food is gone, returning ants no longer leave any scent on their way home. The trail smell gets weaker and weaker, and soon the ants don't waste any more time following it. A Loving Touch
    Wolves live in very close groups called packs. They have many different ways of communicating with each other.
    They do so by howling, moving their ears and tails, and using smell. But for wolves, touch is also a very important way of expressing feelings.
    In each wolf pack, one male and one female are the leaders. The other wolves are usually their offspring from different years.
    When one of the leaders has been away for a while and returns, the other wolves dash over to greet the returning wolf,
    They nuzzle the leader. They lick at his or her face and push their bodies as close together as they can. Their greetings seem much like humans' hugs and kisses.
    Ways of "Talking"
    You can see that animals communicate in many ways. They use sight, sound, smell, and touch. Next time you go for a walk in the park or to the zoo, see if you can figure out how the animals you see are "talking" to each other.
    HEADLINES
    by F.M. Bright
    My father works hard at his office. He is the head of a computer lab. He works all the time. And when he gets home after work, he disappears.
    Where?
    Behind his newspaper!
    He reads every inch of that newspaper-current events, crime articles, sports, and weather. He even reads the movie reviews and the gossip column.
    Father enjoys that newspaper! But I don't like it. Why? Because he gets lost in it! Once we were late for the school play because he did not stop reading. Once his beeper rang and rang. He didn't look up. Once I said, "Father, the dog is flying," just to see what he would do.
    "Just a minute," he said. "I'm reading the book reviews."
    I can shout! I can cheer! When he reads the newspaper, he cannot hear me.
    So today I played a little trick. I got some paper. I printed some headlines - different headlines. And I glued them to Father's newspaper.
    What did he do?
    Father picked up the newspaper. He opened it. I waited.
    The newspaper began to shake. I heard a giggle. Then I heard a laugh. My trick was working!
    "Very funny!" Father said. "Now I am hungry. Do you want to get some ice cream with me?"
    "But you didn't read all of your newspaper, Father," I said.
    "I will do that later," he said. "Come on."
    My father is wonderful!
    alinti

Konu Bilgileri       Kaynak: www.azeribalasi.com

Konu: İngilizce hikayeler

Kategori: İngilizce

Konuyu Baslatan: -

Cevaplar: 0

Görüntüleme: 18180

Etiketler

Yetkileriniz

• Konu Acma Yetkiniz Yok